"Pro Town: Greenville" to premiere in Jan.
"Pro Town: Greenville," the new 44-minute documentary from producer Mark Losey, is set to premiere in Greenville, N.C. on the weekend of January 7-8, 2011. The worldwide premiere is showing at Tie Breakers, located at 1920 Smythewyck Drive in Greenville.
The film, a documentary featuring interviews with BMX pros in the Greenville, N.C. area, depicts how the town grew into a BMX mecca for pros throughout the world. The 44-minute movie includes current and archival footage and photographs, plus interviews with Dave Mirra, Ryan Nyquist, Colin Mackay, Ryan Guettler, Rob Darden, Allan Cooke, Josh Harrington, and many more. To date, Greenville's BMX accolades include 34 professional locals, 21 X Games Gold Medals and countless other contest wins.
As the former editor/photographer for Ride BMX Magazine, producer Mark Losey documented the evolving Greenville, N.C. BMX scene from its early years in the mid '90s, coining the name "Pro Town" in the March 2001 issue of Ride.
"Greenville has been fascinating to me ever since I first went there in'98 to shoot an interview with Dave [Mirra] for Ride. That much talent in such a small town is a compelling story, but there are so many more great stories wrapped up with it," says Losey regarding the film. "It's something I wanted to do for a long time, and I finally said that 2010 was the year it happened."
There are two premieres happening throughout the premiere weekend. The first, on Jan. 7, starts at 8:30 p.m. and is open to those 18 and over. The second follows on January 8 at 10:30 a.m., and is open to all ages. A portion of the cover charge will be donated to the Athlete Recovery Fund, and the video will be on sale at the premiere as well.
As a teaser, Mark Losey sent over a loose explanation of the chapter of the movie, so you know what to expect past the above trailer. I'm not going to give anything away here, but I will say that I've seen a rough cut and that it's an amazing story. Check the chapters below, and start making plans to get to Greenville in early January.
And if you can't get to the premiere, you can pre-order the DVD on the Pro Town site.
"Pro Town: Greenville" DVD Chapters
- Green-Where?: Greenville must be a big city for so many pros to want to live there, right? Think again.
- The First Mirra Arrives: Greenville was destined to have a BMX scene, but when a certain Mirra moved to town, it changed things forever. But it wasn't Dave (but he wasn't far behind).
- Misconceptions: Everyone seems to have a strong opinion about Greenville, including people who have never been there. The local pros describe what it's really like in Pro Town.
- Ryan Nyquist Arrives: As an up-and-coming pro, Nyquist could have moved anywhere in the country. But instead he moved to Greenville and became Dave Mirra's roommate.
- Things to Do: Greenville may be small, but there are plenty of things to keep you occupied if you have any open mind. The bars aren't bad either.
- Fractures in the Scene: As the scene began to blow up, that once tight scene changed forever.
- Mirra & Nyquist: What would happen if Shaq and Kobe competed against each other every week, and were also roommates? Probably the same thing as Mirra and Nyquist.
- Colin Winkelmann: Colin is a legend in BMX. His death had a huge effect on the locals, and the Destroyerfest memorial they threw in his memory was out of hand.
- But Why Greenville: The pros themselves describe exactly why they choose this tiny town over any where else on earth.