Real BMX: Five fast facts with Demarcus Paul
Following a move from Albany, Georgia to San Diego, California, Demarcus Paul burst onto the BMX scene several years ago after being added to the Volume Bikes team. But how did he actually get the bug to start riding BMX? Simple: he saw the X Games on TV and that lit a fire that has finally brought him full circle, arriving into the Real BMX fold in 2017 to release a ridiculous part full of pop, unique lines and a good old fashioned street backflip.
Here are five fast facts about Demarcus Paul and his Real BMX section.
1. One of Demarcus' clips involved him and filmer Mike Mastroni asking a skateboarder to get out of the way because he was distracting them. "The dude just happens to be Riley Hawk - Tony Hawk's son. He was understanding and just went and sat down with his buddies until I pulled the manual bar 45 minutes later," says Paul.
2. When BMX is done for Demarcus, he plans on becoming a motivational speaker.
3. Demarcus released a signature frame and handlebar for Volume Bikes in 2016. His original name for the kit was "Georgia War Horse," but after doing some research, he discovered that the Georgia War Horse is a type of grasshopper, so he went with "War Horse."
4. Demarcus wanted to include a backflip in his section because he wanted variety and tricks that could be understood by the general public outside of BMX.
5. Demarcus has cat-like abilities in the bail department.
Real BMX 2017 voting is open. Vote for Demarcus Paul here.